Software Engineering Manager (Remote)
- Location: Remote within the North America time zones
- Position: Full-time
- Experience: 2+ Years of engineering management experience
- Technology Stack: Rust, C, C++, Objective-C, Assembly
- Platforms: iOS, Windows & Mac (possibly expanding with your help!)
We are Astropad and we build tools that unlock creativity and productivity, such as:
- Luna Display – The first hardware solution that turns the iPad (or Mac) into a wireless second display.
- Astropad Studio – The creative app that turns the iPad into a drawing tablet for creative pros.
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager located anywhere within the North American time zones. Your role will be to manage the mighty team of engineers (4 engineers currently) that are behind Luna Display and Astropad Studio for iOS, Mac and Windows.
We are a small company (less than 15 people). You will wear multiple hats and see what it takes to develop software and hardware consumer products.
Your position in the company
This is a highly collaborative role. You will work closely with:
- Head of Product to define and design product features
- General Manager to plan milestones and company roadmap
- Support Manager to identify top support tickets and “hear the voice of our users”
Our Unique Technology
We are a technology company founded by two ex-Apple engineers.
At the heart of our products is a proprietary video codec we developed. We call it LIQUID. This is a combination of a low latency networking and a high fidelity image codec designed specifically for the need of artists and creative professionals. Our code is low level and high performant. When software can’t do what we want we design our own hardware (Luna Display!).
Our products are native mobile & desktop applications that span a variety of technology stacks across iOS, macOS, and Windows. Our source code is a combination of Rust, C, C++, Objective-C, C#, and Assembly. Over the past 2 years we have been transitioning more and more to Rust. We would expect you to know at least one of these languages very well and that you will want to become familiar with Rust, as Rust is the current and future foundation of our products.
- 5+ years of experience in developing native Desktop and/or Mobile apps in the consumer space.
- 2+ years experience managing a Software Engineering Team
- Willing and able to dive into the code yourself
- Experience working cross-functionally with different teams such as product management, design, marketing, and support teams.
- Kind and intellectually mature. You are invested in your personal growth and have learned how your personality affects others around you.
- You like talking with and relating to humans.
- Know Rust or willing to learn Rust as our software stack currently uses Rust throughout
- The quality and reliability of our software products depends on you
- Set software quality goals & requirements before a public release
- You are passionate about motivating others to do great work and develop as software engineers as well as human beings
- Manage a team of 4-5 engineers working on our core product lines (Luna Display & Astropad Studio).
- You will have weekly 1-1s with your direct reports.
- Partner with design and product management on both large new features and small product enhancements
- Work and learn alongside great peer managers of our Support & Marketing Team with a strong sense of collaboration
- Help expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, and onboarding new employees
- Organize development Cycles, track progress and QA when needed.
We are a small, bootstrapped startup founded by ex-Apple engineers. Our tools are used by tens of thousands of creative pros, and some of the largest animation studios in the world, and we are just getting started!
We are looking for people who are passionate about building the next generation of tools that unlock creativity to join our team.
- Flexible work schedules
- Competitive pay + equity
- 401k with matching up to 4%
- Coworking space reimbursement stipend
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 8 weeks paid parental leave for all new parents
- 3 weeks vacation
- Challenging and creative work
- High impact work with significant responsibility